Monday, October 14, 2013

Music Monday

For some time, I've been searching long and hard for opening themes and closing themes in languages other than Japanese or English (I don't mean redubs by the way). Although , I find that English songs used as opening or closing themes is now probably more prevalent than it ever was, so much so that it's no longer that 'special' to me (though it was back when Eden of the East was about, but probably only because I was more ignorant).



If you're interested, you can check out this , though if you look them up you can tell they're accurate, just incomplete since there are glaring omissions - one which I will be covering later in this post! Anyway, despite that, it's still interesting to see what choices are made and whether it is an English or a Japanese band performing the song (sometimes you really can't tell, but sometimes you can).




Some different languages that have been used in opening/closing themes are such as Russian (Ghost in the Shell), Latin (Dantalian, Elfen Lied), French (Tsukuyomi, Blood-C), German (Guilty Crown) and Thai (Animal Detectives Kiruminzoo). In comparison to these languages, English is overwhelmingly the majority in terms of foreign language themes.



But I'm not so interested in these. I've been searching for other Korean songs used as opening or closing sequences, since the only one I've found so far has been 'Shinkirou' by LOVEHOLIC, which was used as the closing theme to Black Blood Brothers. Take a listen:



There have been plenty of songs sung in Japanese by Korean artists or groups, such as BoA, , , MBLAQ and of course, just to name a few. But of actual Korean tracks used, there are few. Can you name one or is this the only one you know of too?



Although the song struck me odd when I first heard it, naturally because I hadn't realised it was Korean, I really loved it and the feelings it portrayed as well as just the style and the pacing in general. I guess it's just the romanticist side coming out, but all the same it's a beautifully crafted song.



Finishing up, have a song done in French, which seems oft criticised, yet three of the members of the group attended a French-Japanese school -- you would think they knew what they were doing! Not my style, but an interesting track. (Spiral by Dustz)
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment