Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Clannad

Clannad is one of those shows that I love and hate at the same time because sometimes I feel like; OH MY GOD, THIS IS AMAZING! and other times I have a disappointing feeling like; really?



This show revolves around the lives of Tomoya and Nagisa (and an assortment of other people such as friends, family, and landlords) and I get that there supposed to be all "hormonal" with "impaired judgement" along withhaving "rough teenage lives" but some of the reasoning that goes on in their head really does not compute (in my opinion.If any of you found Clannad to be an emotionally powerful story I don't mean to say that that sounds silly.)




So the main main character's name is Tomoya (insert last name hear ) who, of course, as most anime TV shows that revolve around a guy character do, has all the girls fighting over him, and he's a delinquent.He has an alcoholic father that has beaten him before but has no mother anymore.As for the only girl of many that he is interested in, Nagisa (insert last name hear), she has a loving mother and father who love each other very much as well AND have stable jobs, yet somehow the writers of the show occasionally try and make you feel sorry for her and her troubles of which I will not describe so as not to spoil anything.So while some "drama" goes on in her life other characters have to deal with suicidal siblings, living on their own, dead parents, and family members who are in a coma.It seems the writers try to milk a little too much out of the show.

There was also this added bit of sci-fi fantasy stuff in the story which I never quite understood the importance of but I was told is was all explained in the series Clannad After Story but I decided not to pursue Clannad anymore after I finished the series, for the reason that I heard that the story gets even sadder.

Unfortunately Clannad is one of those shows where it doesn't get much better as it goes on.I really enjoyed the first part of the series where it was all about Tomoyo and Nagisa helping a little ghost girl named Fuko to convince her older sister to not postpone her wedding any longer.Fuko's sister was the oldest sister was the only family she had left and when Fuko was hospitalized because of a severe accident sending her into a coma the older sister decided to postpone the wedding she had planned (and what I mean by postpone is it didn't seem like it was going to happen at all unless there was an intervention.)Here's the catch, even though most other people can see Fuko, her older sister CAN'T so there's a serious problem in successfully convincing her to marry her boyfriend.I enjoyed all those episodes, but once that was resolved the show went downhill.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, I got it all figured out for the Mushi-shi and Death Note posts but I lost the mojo about the time of the Ghost in the Shell post.Not to worry though, I will regain the skill for the next post through many a trial-and-error.Also, I couldn't find a good clip to summarize or portray the overall feel of Clannad, though there are many good scenes.This is a shit post, I know.
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment